SUPPORTIVE GROUP THERAPY FOR BARIATRIC PATIENTS
What is Supportive Group Therapy?
We offer a supportive group therapy program for people who have undergone weight-loss surgery, such as Laparoscopic Adjustable Gastric Banding aka Lap Band, Sleeve Gastrectomy, or Intragastric Balloon. Lead by a psychologist, group sessions are semi-structured, each commencing with a relevant theme, such as:
- Addressing motivational problems
- Barriers to improving health behaviours
- Recognising and reducing mental health symptoms that can affect the success of your surgery
- Understanding emotional eating
- Identifying unhelpful food messages and associations
- Adopting the identity and attitude of a 'healthy' person
These sessions aim to help you better understand common barriers to improving your health after surgery, and develop strategies to overcome these concerns. Importantly, you also benefit from group discussion and support from fellow participants within a safe, confidential and professional environment.
would you like to join our super
secret Facebook Support Group?
First friend "Natasha Psg"
then you'll be added to
"PSG Weight-loss Support Group"
PLEASE NOTE THAT THERE IS NO GROUP CURRENTLY RUNNING - PLEASE JOIN OUR SECRET, CLOSED FACEBOOK GROUP FOR THE MOST UP-TO-DATE INFORMATION (details below)
Who can participate?
Our group therapy program is suitable for anyone who:
- Has previously undergone weight-loss surgery, and
- Is interested in learning more about their relationship with health as well as with food, eating, and weight, and
- Is able to participate cooperatively within a supportive group environment.
- Group session fees are $50 per participant per session
- Attendance is on a week-by-week basis
- Medicare rebates of $25 may apply for eligible clients with a current Mental Health Care Plan and referral from a GP
- Sessions run for a minimum of 60 minutes, and maximum of 90 minutes
- Available only at our Williamstown and/or Werribee locations